Thursday, May 17, 2007

glitch in cyberspaceberspace

The past week or so I have been out of touch due to some weird manifestation of cy berspace. I was unable to access anything online save my homepage which was thankfully set on my email inbox. Strangely enough, I could send and receive email but not search the web. Any attempt at searching left the screen white with nothing happening. There was no warning, no hints as to why as in an error message. . . . things just went white.

A friend, a great friend now, spent hours and hours backing up all my data including massive numbers of photos in order to crash the system and reload all the software. He did that to no avail. I got the same response when I tried to surf the web. All this sounds relatively unimportant except for the fact that I do major portions of my sermon research on the internet. I feel as if I have been restricted and shut off from the world for the last week. I am so thankful that I was actually ahead of the game last week and had printed out my sermon prior to the computer going haywire. I was afraid I was going to lose everything on the harddrive.
Today, following hours and hours of tech support from both the computer company and the ISP people I am up and running again. Actually, things are even faster than before which is totally cool! However, I haven't been blogging nor have I been able to get up with the RGBP folks and touch base. Nor, more importantly, have I done much in the way of sermon preparation. There is still the weekend, I suppose!
I am amazed by the techno-geeks who work at technical support. They sit at a telephone and rattle off directions for fixing the most elaborate computer glitches. I am SO visual. I need to see the options before me and chose one. I could never spout off the chain of commands necessary for the computer to rise from the ashes and resume function. Hats off to the "Geek Squad". I am most appreciative of their support this week.

No comments: