Wednesday, May 23, 2007

the old dog DID learn a new trick!

I am so pleased with my "old dog" Henry. He is a stray who moved into a church member's yard a little over a year ago. They kept him for several months and then proceeded to find him a home. Well, he was the calmest and most unassuming dog. I loved him at first sight not to mention he is my all time faovrite breed - beagle. So, Henry came to live with me. He has been great. He is VERY low maintanence which is a bonus for a busy pastor. Basically, I feed him and pet him once in a while. Sounds like a dog's life, doesn't it! HE has a doggie door so he comes and goes to the backyard when he needs to.

Henry spends his days and nights sleeping. He curls up on his bed or in my overstuffed armchair in the den. He doesn't play with toys or chew bones or anything. He is really quite boring although he will let you play with him and pet him ad nauseum.

Things changed for Henry a couple of weeks ago when a new dog came to live with us. I was sick just prior to this time and I discovered I would really like a dog who would cuddle with me. I was feeling poorly. I live alone. Woe is me, I need a dog to snuggle with. So, I began the search for a dog to adopt. I happened upon the cutest little pomeranian just an hour and a half away. Not far when you consider I live that far away from everywhere! So, Pumpkin came to live with us.

Henry was not too impressed. He looked at me with his sad eyes seemingly asking "what is this little monster?" Pumpkin is a barker and oh my gosh can he jump! He is into everything. I have learned a valuable lesson from this dog - shoes go immediately in the closet. Do not hesitate. Go immediately to the closet with all shoes. Nonetheless, Pumpkin LOVES toys. He chews everything. Blessedly, he chews appropriate things except for shoes. So, he has numerous toys. My kind church members have been greeting the new addition to my family with gifts of toys. I have tried again and again to intrest Henry in toys. Especially now that Pumpkin is on the scene. I don't want Henry to feel left out. My efforts have yielded no fruit.

Or so I thought . . . last night I stepped out of the bathroom after a bath to check on the dogs. They were being very quiet. I was a bit concerned. But the, but there they were both lying on the bedroom floor chewing on toys. I was amazed! I happened to have the camera in the bathroom (I have no idea why it was there.) and quickly took a photo to mark the occasion. I imagined no one would believe Henry was chewing on a toy! I called my mother (I'm so silly.) to report this small miracle. She being just as silly as I responded: "Henry? Henry is playing?"

It isn't much, but I think it a miracle. This abandoned and I think abused dog has learned to play. What a joy! I am really sincerely happy about this advent! I never imagined Henry would come around and discover his inner puppy. But the old dog has definitely learned a new trick!!!

4 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

What a great story about your new and old dogs. Yes, dogs can be really good company for each other. It's fun to watch.

Diane M. Roth said...

Oh, yes, and welcome to RGBPs too!

Sista Cala said...

That just shows how joy can rub off on another be it man or beast.

Anonymous said...

Good words.