Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Whew!

Last night was our monthly Session (Board) meeting. These things are really a breeze most of the time. However, this time I was requesting some extended leave to manage a little medical issue. I was SO anxious I was literally shaking prior to the meeting. I'm not sure why I was so bent out of shape. This is a great group of people and they have been supportive of me since I arrived here a little over two years ago. Yet, I was scared. I realized when I got right down to the core of the fear I was scared they were going to fire me. Now, what kind of church would fire the pastor for taking care of herself upon doctor's orders? Not particularly rational, I suppose.

Thankfully, the matter was quickly decided in the affirmative and I begin my leave following worship this Sunday. One man even spoke about his wife who has a similar issue and how she did not take time out and it took 7 years for her to be able to work. I told him I wasn't sure they needed to hear this! However, his point was that had she taken time out early on it might not have been such a long time for her to recuperate. I reallky appreciated his supportive nature and comments.

SO, I'm coasting this week. I have a Pentecosts banner to complete and a sermon to write and then I'm outta here! Just like Jesus ascending into heaven I am going to ascend to the mountains of NC to begin my respite at beautiful and soul refreshing Montreat COnference Center. I like to think of it as the Presbyterian Mecca! I look forward to some down time while auditing the preaching conference and staying with a friend. By auditing I have the afternoons free each day. Nice! Then, I'm going the 2 hours to my parents for a long weekend. The driving will be a bummer, but I actually enjoy driving and find it relaxing at times. I have the new Anne Lamott book on CDs and look forward to her voice leading me home. I am really excited and looking forward to the time off. It will be a challenge for me to do nothing for an entire month, but I'm willing to give it a try. I'm hoping to get a good disciplined routine established for myself while out of work - - a life long dream. But, with the ehlp of friends and a therapist perhaps I can do it this go round! I've never had a month to try something before. Wish me luck! I am so bad at disciplined approaches to anything. I am impulsive and spontaneous. I struggle with this as a pastor because I want to portray a calm disciplined approach to spirituality and my life, but I''m thinking it might just not be who I am. Something to ponder.

No comments: