Thursday, July 19, 2007

aging

Today, child abuse and neglect -
Yesterday, an elderly woman in a nursing home was lying in her own poop when I entered her room. This is bad enough to imagine and to experience I imagine, but the woman also has a bed sore. Can you imagine how painful that must have been for the woman?
She is so sweet and easy going.
She apologized for her state when I arrived.
I asked her if I could get a nurse for her and her reply was "no, honey they will get to me as soon as they can. They are so busy in the mornings.

Oh my, I imagine this is why she has the pleasure of lying in her own poop while her skin is eaten away. . . . so sweet and kind, and this is how her long 98 year life is ending.

It is not fair nor how God intended.
Again, ministry stinks sometimes.

I did report the situation to the charge nurse.
Then, I called the woman's daughter and told her what I had done.
I felt in some ways that I had over steped some boundary.
The woman nor her daughter is a church member.
I know the daughter and the mother, but didn't feel particularly responsible.
Yet, I couldn't let the offense continue.
She got her bath and her diaper changed.
HOpefully some pain relief cream or something.
Ministry stinks sometimes.

No comments: