Monday, July 2, 2007

Things that make you go hummmmmmmmm

The strangest thing happened today.
I called my doctor's office to make an appointment. The receptionist put me on hold for quite awhile. Then, the nurse answered saying "Dari she has dictated a letter saying she is firing you as a patient. She cannot help you."

I was stunned. I was calling for a consult regarding some bloodwork she did last week. No big request, no complex issues, nothing really. Yet, she refused. It never occurred to me that a doctor would or even could do that. I can't imagine what I have done to spark such an action . . . of course, this is one of my problems in life, I try to take on all sorts of responsibility for things that are not mine to harbor. Perhaps she is having a bad time. PErhaps she doesn't like treating women who know their bodies and don't just soak up every word she says because she is the doctor. I am an informed and intelligent woman who takes her body seriously and I often (really always) have questions and my own ideas how things should go.

My mind races trying to figure this one out. Why would one's doctor fire one? Who knows.
A friend says, "oh well, her issue, move on and find a new doctor." Easier said than done. Relationships are important to me and I want closure. I want healthy closure. I want us to sit down and discuss what is going wrong and work it out. Oh well, not going to happen I guess! I am now in search of a new physician. This is hard for me in ways. I am 41 years old and I have only had 3 physicians in my life prior to this woman. The physician/patient relationship is important to me. I need a wise person overseeing my health care. I don't know that I have ever been without a doctor prior to this very day. YIKES!

Oh well, time to move on. . . . moving on . . . moving on . . . m.o.v.i.n.g..o.n. . . . . . . .

2 comments:

Sista Cala said...

Is there any possibility the receptionist thought she was speaking to a different patient?
I work in the medical field and phone calls complete with "on-hold" and transfers can get kind of hectic.

Usually a patient is 'fired' when they refuse to comply w/the doc's treatment regimen; and then only if it is really life threatening. I think you should try again to make an appointment. Depending on your relationship w/the others in the office- you might ask them to broker a meeting w/the doc for you.

RevDari said...

Oh, I wish it were this simple. I am in a small little town where everyone knows everyone else. The staff knew exactly with whom they were talking.

I have sent a letter to the doctor asking for an explanation because I do follow her recommendations and we have had a good relationship, or so I thought. I'm not sure what has her upset. I would love to talk to her, but she has refused to see me. It seems very strange to me.