Thursday, July 19, 2007

Mandated Reporter

Ugh, pastoring stinks sometimes.
I had to make my first report of suspected child abuse this morning.
It hurts.
In so many ways it hurts.
I'm sad for the child. She is, of course, the reason I filed the complaint.
I'm sad for the mother who really isn't capable of doing any better.
I'm sad that any chance of a pastoral relationship is destroyed.
Of course, it is illegal for anyone to let her know who filed the complaint, but I'm confident she won't have too hard a time knowing who it was.
The mother was actually snorting some substance when the little three-year-old girl let me into their motel room. How stupid can she be?
Oh, man, I am drained from the entire experience.
Pastoring stinks sometimes, on the other hand, perhaps I've made a difference positively in the life of that sweet little child.

No comments: